Since 1913, The Fillmore High Alumni Association has been serving the students and community of Fillmore.
The Fillmore High Alumni Association
The first graduating class was in 1911 with four graduates, they were Mabel Arthur, Mary Cummings, Sarah King and Albert Wicklund. The first alumni meeting was held in 1914, with Albert Wicklund, class of 1911 as the first president. Since then, annual meetings were held, except during the war years of 1917-1919 and 1942-1945, and there have been 75 different presidents, with several serving more than one term.
Alumni members remember early alumni dinners being held on the old tennis courts, which were where the cafeteria is now located, with guests seated at table and benches made from orange picking boxes with 1" x 12"s for seats and tables. After 1951, they were held in the area between the cafeteria and the new gym. They were also held on the high school quad, then at the Memorial Building, The City Park, and at present are being held back at the Memorial Building. The dinners were mainly pit barbecues that were put on by Albert Bartels and his crews, Ed Burson and his group, and by K. B. Rogers and Ron Godfrey with the help of Fillmore Club members.
The alumni association is interested in receiving any information that anyone has on the history of the alumni dinners, the alumni association and any activities in which the association has participated over these past 100 years.
Origin of Copa de Oro
In the year 1914, a contest was given, awarding three annuals as a prize to the person who suggested the best name for the high school annual. This contest was staged by the student body, because the first year-book of Fillmore High, which was edited in 1913, had a name which seemed hardly appropriate. The name of this small pamphlet (called an annual) was "El Picadillo", meaning 'hash".
Many unique names were turned in. The winning name, COPA de ORO, was turned in by Edith Moore, who was then a freshman. She is better known as Edith Moore Jarrett, a past Spanish teacher, for many years at Fillmore High. She said she received her inspiration for the name from the beautiful flowers that grew in the field that is now the football field.
COPA de ORO came to be the name of this annual and has remained so ever since. Only twice has the annual failed to be published. In 1918 and 1919, the graduating classes decided to donate money to the American Red Cross instead of publishing annuals each year. During World War II, the class of 1943 issued COPA de ORO editions of the school paper, "The Flashes" and bound them into a book for their annual. In 1944 – issues of “The Flashes” were published with photographs of the graduating seniors and other school activities – but were not put into book form.
The name "Flashes" came from the class of 1925 when they named their annual, "The Flash".
History of the Fillmore High Alumni Association.
If anyone has anymore information on the History of our fine Alma Mater, please contact the alumni office.